Seeking Development Manager
It is estimated that more than 15,000 children under 5 die from preventable illnesses in marginalized communities every day. Medicines for Humanity (MFH) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization with the mission of reaching the world’s most vulnerable children and their mothers with effective, life-saving health services. MFH increases the capacity of its in-country partners to provide quality healthcare services. We transform community health sustainably through education and innovation. Founded in 1997, Medicines for Humanity now collaborates with in-country partners at more than 64 project sites across 16 projects in 6 countries.
MFH is a small, dynamic organization made up of a team of committed, hard-working and passionate individuals. The Development Manager works closely with other MFH staff members to contribute to strengthening and building a comprehensive development program, and reports to the Director of Development. We seek a talented full-time professional for our Rockland, MA office to cultivate and manage the implementation of fundraising initiatives. Some telecommuting is possible and hours can be somewhat flexible. Emphasis is on writing, editing and leading efforts on grant proposals; managing grant reporting and donor relationships, collaborating on marketing strategies and communications, and providing overall development support.
Successful candidates will have a minimum of 5 years professional experience in a field or job that brings key experience to bear on this new position. Candidates must share a commitment to the mission, an awareness of international maternal and child health issues, strong interpersonal skills, robust organizational skills, and possess the ability to be self-sufficient and self-directed.
The organizational culture of Medicines for Humanity is inherently independent, yet also team oriented. Staff interact virtually from various parts of the world. Successful job candidates will be self-reliant, able to engage with the team via a virtual platform, contribute innovative ideas for growth, manage grant proposals and reporting mechanisms efficiently, and be comfortable working within a development framework. MFH has a committed Board of Directors and this position will be expected to interface with the Board on individual and group fundraising strategies.
Manage grant proposal processes, including research, writing, editing and reviewing, and subsequent donor reporting (approximately 60% of time)
- Research and identify new funding sources including foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Research, write, edit and submit grant applications and proposals.
- Maintain government registrations as needed for federal applications (SAM, PVO).
- Lead and facilitate the grant writing process including timelines, and oversee responsibilities of team members, as well as participate in proposal writing.
- Manage individual proposal development efforts, ensuring that proposals meet funder specifications and deadlines.
- Liaise with Program Services staff to develop proposals and reports.
- Track and manage application and reporting processes to donors.
- Write, edit and submit reports to donors.
- Review proposal budgets for clarity and consistency.
- Maintain and nurture major donor relationships with individual, high quality communication and interaction.
- Maintain accurate information in organizational databases.
- Manage donor/funder contacts and communications to ensure responsiveness and quality.
Contribute to the development and evolution of the business development strategy and assist in the development and management of fundraising initiatives (approximately 40% of time)
- Collaborate with development department colleagues to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy that aligns with the MFH Strategic Plan.
- Help to structure and implement strategies for the cultivation and solicitation of current and prospective donors.
- Prepare revenue reports for board meetings, budget preparations, and post-event wrap-up.
- Heartfelt appreciation for MFH’s mission, values and family-like culture and an ability to communicate about the organization effectively.
- BA or BS degree in marketing, communications, business or relevant area.
- Proven work experience of at least 5 years in fundraising and business development.
- Good networking skills; ability to cultivate and maintain professional relationships with internal colleagues and build and nurture relationships with donors.
- Strong writing skills and demonstrated experience for proposals, technical narratives, press releases, and marketing communications.
- Proposal development experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills; comfortable engaging with most team members in a virtual capacity.
- Proven self-motivation and self-starter; ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team, collaborate, share responsibilities, and execute plans.
- Strong planning and time management skills.
- Ability to problem-solve difficult issues; ability to multitask, adapting to frequently changing priorities.
- Good public speaking skills and ability to deliver engaging presentations.
- Steep learning curve requires a quick learner.
- Ability to work independently requiring interaction with colleagues virtually and sometimes means operating out of the office alone.
- Robust computer skills including: database creation and management, MS office suite, and social media platforms. Experience with WordPress and Constant Contact will be a plus. Ability to master new software platforms is essential.
- Experience with and knowledge of public health and maternal and child health is a plus.
- Experience in international development in an overseas setting.
- Experience working with foundations and corporations.
- Experience with online development research tools/websites such as Foundation Center, Inside Philanthropy, Guidestar, etc.
- Working knowledge of international development donor policies and regulations.
- Working knowledge of U.S. and European government donor policies and regulations (USAID, NIH, DFID, etc.)
- Fluency in English and proficiency in at least one other language (French or Spanish).
$65,000 - $75,000 annually, based on experience and expertise.
Benefits include: 100% health insurance that includes dental and eye care, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, unlimited leave.
MFH is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (preferably a grant proposal, concept note or similar material) to Dick Weisberg, MFH Development Director, at email@example.com by January 31, 2020.