Job Opening: Development Manager
Founded in 1997, Medicines for Humanity (MFH) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization with the mission of reaching the world’s most vulnerable children with effective life-saving health services to reduce the mortality rate of children under 5 years old. MFH works to increase the capacity of its in-country partners to support and provide services for clinics and communities with nutrition, perinatal, water and sanitation initiatives. We train staff and volunteers to recognize, refer and treat children; transform community health through education and innovation; support provision of medicines and equipment and monitor progress and results to ensure positive outcomes. With more than 30 projects in 6 countries, MFH strives to provide quality healthcare services with local partners to serve more children and women.
MFH is a small, dynamic organization made up of a team of committed, hard-working and passionate individuals. The Development Manager will work closely with other MFH staff members and report to the Director of Development to contribute to strengthening and building a comprehensive development program. We seek a talented full-time professional for our Rockland, MA office to collaborate on and manage the implementation of fundraising initiatives; engage and manage marketing communications, public relations and social media; write, edit and lead efforts on grant proposals; manage grant reporting and donor relationships, and support the development department.
Successful candidates will have a minimum of 3-5 years professional experience in a field or job that brings key experience to bear on this new position. Candidates must share a commitment to the mission, an awareness of international maternal and child health issues, strong interpersonal skills, robust organizational skills, and possess the ability to be a self-sufficient and self-directed.
The organizational culture of Medicines for Humanity is inherently independent, yet also team oriented. Staff interact virtually from various parts of the world. Successful job candidates will be self-reliant, able to engage with the team via a virtual platform, contribute innovative ideas for growth, manage grant proposals and reporting mechanisms efficiently, and be comfortable working within a development framework. MFH has a committed Board of Directors and this position will be expected to interface with the Board on individual and group fundraising strategies.
Key Responsibilities of the Development Manager
Assist in the development and management of fundraising initiatives (approximately 40% of time)
- Co-develop and implement all aspects of fundraising initiatives including campaigns, events, donor trips to project sites, and related activities.
- Write and send out external communications relating to fundraising activities. These may include press releases, newsletters, thank you letters, etc.
- Maintain updated database of funders.
- Manage peer to peer and crowd sourcing fundraising platforms and initiatives that arise from usage.
- Engage with Board Members on the implementation of their fundraising strategies.
Manage grant proposal processes, including writing, editing and reviewing, and subsequent donor reporting (approximately 40% of time)
- Research and identify new funding sources including foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Research, write, edit and submit grant applications and proposals.
- Maintain government registrations as needed for federal applications (SAM, PVO)
- Lead and facilitate the grant writing process including timelines and oversee responsibilities of team members, as well as participate in proposal writing.
- Manage individual proposal development efforts, ensuring that proposals meet funder specifications and deadlines
- Liaise with Program Service staff to develop proposals and reports.
- Track and manage application and reporting processes to donors.
- Writing, editing and submitting reports, best practices to donors.
- Review proposal budgets for clarity and consistency.
- Maintain and nurture major donor relationships with individual, high quality communication and interaction.
- Maintain accurate information in organizational databases
- Manage donor/funder contacts and communications to ensure responsiveness and quality
Contribute to the development and evolution of the Business Development Strategy and Direction (approximately 20% of time)
- Team up with the development department to form a comprehensive development strategy and direction
- Help to structure and implement strategies for the cultivation and solicitation of current and prospective donors
- Assist with implementation of development strategy
- Prepare revenue reports for board meetings, budget preparations, and post-event wrap-up.
- Manage and maintain updated MFH web site, social media via updating content, messaging and contributing ideas; Coordinate other staff or BOD to contribute to social media platforms.
- Heartfelt appreciation for MFH’s mission and an ability to communicate the mission effectively
- BA or BS degree in marketing, communications, business or relevant area
- Proven work experience of 3-5 years in fundraising and business development.
- Good networking skills; ability to cultivate and maintain professional relationships with internal colleagues and build and nurture relationships with donors.
- Strong writing skills for proposals, technical narratives, press releases, and marketing communications and demonstrated experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills; Comfortable engaging with most team members in a virtual capacity
- Proven self-motivation and self-starter; ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team, collaborate, share responsibilities, and execute plans.
- Strong planning and time management skills
- Ability to problem-solve difficult issues; Ability to multitask with ease, adapting to frequently changing priorities
- Good public speaking skills and ability to deliver engaging presentations.
- Steep learning curve requires a quick learner.
- Robust computer skills including: database creation and management, PC and Mac platforms, MS office suite, Internet, social media platforms, and email. Experience with WordPress and Constant Contact will be a plus. Ability to master new software platforms is essential.
- Experience with and knowledge of public health and maternal and child health is a plus.
- Experience in international development in an overseas setting
- Experience working with foundations and corporations
- Prior proposal development experience
- Working knowledge and understanding of international development donor policies and regulations
- Fluency in English and proficiency in at least one other language (French or Spanish)
MFH is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to Dick Weisberg at email@example.com by October 31, 2017.